Converse Bursary 2021–2022
ABOUT THE COMPANY – CONVERSE
Converse (previously Converse Rubber Shoe Company) was founded in 1908, as specialists in the boot
and winter rubber-soled shoe market, a few years later they expanded into the athletic footwear sector.
Today, Converse is an American shoe company that designs, distributes, and licenses a range of
footwear, sneakers, skating shoes, accessories and apparel. The company’s products include Cons,
Converse, Chuck Taylor All-Star, One Star, Jack Purcell and Star Chevron trademarks. Since 2003,
Converse has been a subsidiary of Nike, Inc.
ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN
Converse will be awarding R1 million to write off student debt (at secondary or tertiary level) with
their #KickTheDebt campaign.
The campaign, organised by Skye Distribution (Skye), was inspired by the FeesMustFall movement which
started in 2015.
R1 million will be awarded to a number of students who are in financial need and have outstanding
student debt which needs to be paid off. Students may apply to write off their own secondary or tertiary
debt, or may nominate someone who needs their student debt to be written off.
Please note the following important details about the campaign:
1) The award of up to R1 million will be spread out over a number of students (the amount per student
will be determined and will either cover a part of or all outstanding fees).
2) Skye (the campaign organiser) will create a video showing 1 or more of the selected candidates, to
share their personal background story in their campaign video. The video will be posted on Converse
South Africa social media platforms, as well as other media platforms.
3) Applicants who are under 18 years old will require parental/ guardian consent to apply
4) Anyone who is affiliated with Skye, their sponsors or organizers of or a supplier to the campaign may
5) The awards will be paid directly to the educational institution to which the debt is owed – awards are
non-transferable, non-negotiable and non-exchangeable.
6) Selected candidates will be contacted telephonically or via email by 30 April 2021 at the latest. If you
are not contacted, then you have not been selected.
7) If selected candidates do not respond within 3 working days, an alternative nominee will be selected.
8) Students must provide all requested information and documentation – if they fail to do so within 1
week of requeste, the award will be forfeited
9) Names of selected students will be shared on the Converse South Africa website on 30 April 2021.
10) Skye will be permitted to amend or update the T&C’s of the campaign (which will be available
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure
to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
South African citizen
Reside within South Africa
Between 13 and 28 years old
Currently enrolled and studying at an accredited secondary or tertiary educational institute in
In financial need
Have outstanding tuition fees, including interest (student debt)
Have a strong academic record with a minimum overall average of 60%
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE CAMPAIGN
Applications must be done online at: https://www.converse.co.za/kick-the-debt.html
Alternatively, applicants can send a WhatsApp message to: 061 806 0654 for instructions to apply.
Applicants must download and read the following documents before applying:
Converse #KickTheDebt T&Cs (.pdf)
Converse #KickTheDebt FAQs (.pdf)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application
form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be
- ID document (certified copy)
- Full academic record
- Statement / invoice detailing outstanding tuition fees
- Student number
- Proof of enrollment
- Parental consent (if under 18 years old)
- Proof of financial need
- Any other information required
- Written motivation to support your application/ application of someone you are nominating
- Application video (not mandatory)
3 March 2021 (at 23:59).
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to
ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE CAMPAIGN PROVIDER
For any queries related to this campaign programme, please contact the Skye customer service center
Tel: 087 940 4664
Bursaries info’s Author