Western Cape Department of Health Bursary South Africa 2020 – 2021
ABOUT THE COMPANY – WESTERN CAPE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
The Western Cape Department of Health, formed in 1994, is responsible for delivering public healthcare and health services to people who reside within the province. They are also in charge of various specialised facilities, which include rehabilitation centres; psychiatric hospitals and tuberculosis hospitals.
The Western Cape currently has 428 public primary care facilities, of which some are operated by the Department of Health and others by the City of Cape Town – these include community health centres and clinics.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The Western Cape Department of Health will be awarding bursaries to students pursuing their studies in Health Science, an area of identified skills shortage in South Africa.
Students must pursue their studies within the one of the following fields at the approved institutes:
- Emergency Medical Care: Bachelors degree (Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Medicine: Degree (University of Stellenbosch, University of Cape Town, University of Free State, University of Pretoria, University of the Witwatersrand)
- Nursing: Bachelors degree (University of Western Cape)
- Nursing: Diploma R425 (Western Cape college of Nursing (Athlone campus), Western Cape college of Nursing (George campus), Western Cape college of Nursing (Worcester campus))
- Radiography in Diagnostic/ Therapy/ Ultrasound: BSc (Cape Peninsula University of Technology)
MORE ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SERVICE CONTRACT
The bursary will provide financial assistance towards tuition fees.
Students will be required to “work back” the bursary – one year of work for each year of funding received. The Community Service Year will cover the first year of the service contract.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
- Reside within the Western Cape
- Completed Matric OR currently in Matric
- Intend on studying full time within one of the aforementioned Health Science fields of study
- Accepted to study at one of the aforementioned tertiary institutions
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Applications must be done online at: www.westerncape.gov.za/healthbursary
You will be required to Register (https://hsdims.westerncape.gov.za/healp_apex/f?p=107:3:::NO:::) before you can Login (https://hsdims.westerncape.gov.za/healp_apex/f?p=107:4:::NO:::) and apply.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric June results, if currently in Matric (certified copy)
- Matric certificate, if completed Matric (certified copy)
- Motivational letter explaining why you deserve to be awarded a bursary (addressed to the Bursary Committee)
- Parents/ guardians proof of income (payslips/ SASSA letter/ tax certificate) (certified copies)
- Proof of residence (rates/ lease agreement/ account statement/ affidavit)
- Proof of disability, if disabled
- Proof of registration at one of the aforementioned tertiary institutions (to be submitted by the beginning of 2021)
30 September 2020.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Western Cape Department of Health directly:
Tel: 021 483 4667/ 021 483 6610/ 021 483 6597/ 021 483 7038
Alternatively, please contact your institutions financial aid department:
University of Cape Town – Contact Person: Ms T Nkomo, Tel: 021 650 3632
University of the Western Cape – Contact Person: Ms E Seleke, Tel: 021 959 9754
Stellenbosch University – Contact Person: Ms R Sylvester, Tel: 021 938 9458
Cape Peninsula University of Technology – Contact Person: Ms N Gxothiwe, Tel: 021 959 6668/ 021 959 6371